English lesson for Specific Purposes
This course is ideal for those who wish to improve their English language skills in a specific area, such as law, finance, technology, medicine, travel, aviation, teaching, accent softening and personnel/human resources.
Our qualified, carefully selected and dedicated teachers design lessons to suit your learning needs and objectives. The English lessons focus on professional and commercial communication skills, negotiating styles and techniques, presentations skills, social English and writing skills, but most importantly place great emphasis on the vocabulary and expressions needed to effectively communicate in your chosen area. We offer small group classes and/or individually designed one-to-one lessons.
The following are examples of the most popular courses in this category. If you are looking for lessons in a different field, please contact us and we will be happy to provide you with more information:
An ideal course for non-native medical professionals who wish to improve their communication skills in the field of medicine, especially those focused on communications with patients and colleagues.
Our qualified tutors work with a specially designed syllabus to create lessons to suit the group’s needs and requirements. The course is based on Standard English and focuses on all four skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening) through a great variety of practical scenarios and activities.
The main aims and objectives include:
- To practise the language through practical work-related scenarios
- To increase effective communication and pronunciation
- To increase the quality of care by improving language competence necessary to promote trust and confidence in doctors and nurses when patients feel vulnerable
- To enhance English language in order to understand the legal duties and responsibilities of care within the UK
- To provide a framework that will enable the course participants to translate their medical skills and enhance and consolidate their performance at work
The lessons are topic-based with the content focusing mainly on the following:
- Patient interviews
- Discussing symptoms
- Dealing with sensitive issues
- Medical history and note-taking
- Medication and records
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Interpreting medical statistics in relation to controversial case studies
- Operating instructions and reading manuals and charts
At the end of the course, you will receive Bloomsbury International certificate of attendance.
This course focuses on using English in a commercial law environment and can help with preparation for the International Legal English Certificate (Cambridge ILEC) with the development of the four key skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. The topics covered on the course include:
- Company formation
- Debtor-creditor relationships
- Intellectual property rights
- Employment law
- Real Property Law
- Secured Transactions
The objective of this course is to enhance your communication skills in areas of financial topics using authentic, clear, simple, accurate and modern English.
The course involves a combination of practical exercises using study texts, brief videos and short role-plays to introduce and practise various language areas of company finance, banking operations, investment and economics, such as:
- Risk Assessment
- Budgetary processes
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- International Banking
- Pricing and Purchasing
This course is ideal for professionals working in the aviation industry, e.g. pilots and air traffic controllers, who aim to improve their communication skills in situations related to their field of expertise, as well as those who wish to enhance their English language skills in order to comply with the International Civil Aviation Organization’s (ICAO) language proficiency requirements. The topics include:
- Time duration and Schedules
- Cargo, materials and fire
- Cabin crew
|Course length||1 week +|
|Levels||B1 – C2 (Intermediate – Advanced)|
|Days||Monday to Friday|
|Lessons (pw)||Class times|
What is the main focus of this course?
- To provide a framework that will enable the course participants to translate their existing specialist knowledge and enhance and consolidate their performance at work.
- To practise the language through practical work-related scenarios.
- To increase effective communication and pronunciation.