20 of the Best Chat-Up Lines
Today, we’re going to talk about chat-up lines. If you’re in a relationship, I bet you love Valentine’s Day. It’s a great excuse to show how in love you are without anyone complaining!
If you’re not in a relationship, don’t spend the day miserable and feeling sorry for yourself, just think of all the other single people out there who are in the same boat as you! In fact, Valentine’s Day is one of the best days to go out and find yourself a new boyfriend or girlfriend. Think about it, if you go to a bar, club or event on Valentine’s Day, it is very likely that everyone there will also be single so that’s one less thing to worry about before you decide to talk to someone!
When you meet a new person, one of the hardest things to do is break the ice. You might see someone in a bar and really want to speak to them but how can you start a conversation? Many people choose to begin with a chat-up line.
What is a chat-up line?
A chat-up line or a pick-up line is a remark that someone makes to a person they are attracted to in order to start a conversation. There are many types of chat-up lines and most of them are quite cheesy (corny and uncool); however, even the cheesy ones can be a great ice breaker as it can show that you are confident and have a great sense of humour!
Below are 20 of my favourite chat-up lines:
- Did it hurt when you fell out of heaven?
- Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?
- Apart from being beautiful, what do you do for a living?
- I seem to have lost my number, can I have yours instead?
- There must be something wrong with my eyes, I can’t take them off you.
- Is your father a thief? Because someone stole the stars from the sky and put them in your eyes.
- I’m new in town, could I have the directions to your house please?
- Do you have any raisins? How about a date then?
- Do you know how much a polar bear weighs? Me neither, but it broke the ice.
- There is something wrong with my mobile. It doesn’t have your number in it.
- Hi, can I buy you several drinks?
- “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.
- You must be tired…because you’ve been running through my mind all night.
- So there you are! I’ve been looking all over for you, the girl of my dreams.
- Do you know what my shirt is made of? Boyfriend material.
- You must be a hell of a thief because you stole my heart from across the room.
- You see my friend over there? [Point to friend] He wants to know if you think I’m cute.
- (Ask a person for the time) 9:15? So today is 14th Feb 2014, at 9:15 PM, thanks I just wanted to be able to remember the exact moment that I met the woman of my dreams.
- Do I know you? Cause you look just like my next girlfriend.
- You’re so beautiful that you made me forget my chat-up line.
If you are going out looking for love tonight, why not try out some of these chat-up lines and see if they work? Let me know if you have any success or if you know any other chat-up lines that have worked for you before.
Many of the teachers at Bloomsbury International are running Valentine’s Day themed lessons today. If you are interested in improving your English and learning about British culture, contact us or visit our website.
Have fun with English
Paul McCartney ‘My Valentine’
Read the lyrics of the song below. Can you guess which words should fit into the gaps? Play the video to check if you were correct.
What if __ rained?
We didn’t care
She said ____ someday soon
the sun was gonna _____.
And ___ was right,
this love __ mine,
As days and _____,
would pass __ by
I tell myself that I was waiting ___ a sign
Then she appeared,
_ love so fine,
And I will ____ her for life
And I ____ never let a day go by
without remembering the _______ why
she makes me certain
that I ___ fly
And so I do,
without a ____
I know that someday soon the ___ is gonna shine
And she’ll __ there
This love of mine
Last week’s answers