UK Student Visas
I have had a number of enquiries regarding UK student visas and getting the right visa for your studies. So I have listed some useful information/advice for you:
- If you come to the UK on a visitor visa you cannot do any form of study, not even a day!
- You do not need a visa if you are an EU student.
- Student visitor visa (SVV) – this will allow you to study English for up to 6 months but not longer and you will need to leave the UK before it expires. Remember to take into account your holiday entitlement when booking a course so that it falls within your six month stay.
- It will be helpful for you to know if your country falls under visa national or non-visa national when applying for a SVV. To check if your country is visa or non-visa national please go the UKBA website: ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk
- UK student visas for less than six months: requires an SVV on arrival at the border if your country falls under visa national. For non-visa nationals you need to get it in your country before you leave for the UK.
- If you want to study a full six months or more you will need an extended student visitor visa (ESVV)
- For ESVV or SVV you can be of any level of English.
- If you want to apply for ESVV you need to apply in your country and it doesn’t matter if you are a visa or non-visa national.
- TIER 4 or general student visa is for a student who wants to study for more than 11 months. This is a much lengthier process and your level of English needs to be at the minimum level of B1. (This means that you are at intermediate level student and ready to start studying at upper-intermediate level).
- Make sure you have all the correct documents before leaving for the UK to start your studies, always double check everything before you leave.
- If you are not sure or have any doubts make sure you get the right advice about UK student visas so that you can journey safely to the UK.
I hope that helps. Still have a question about UK student visas? Then please get in touch and we will do our best to give you the right information. Visa rules and regulations can change quite often so getting the right visa can be made much easier if you have the right up to date information. I always have a saying ‘when in doubt, check it out!!’